Friday, January 4, 2008

Things to read

I consider myself a feminist.  It bothers me that our culture has such a twisted view of sex and of women, and that the sexism seems to have just gone underground rather than disappearing.    
Chris and I were discussing video games the other day.  He was playing Call of Duty 4, which if I understand it correctly has two groups of Bad Guys - the Arabs and the Russians.  I almost choked, and we got to talking about that.  About how if you live in a predominantly white area and the only time you see people in ethnic dress you're supposed to shoot them, how does that affect you in your everyday life?  You might know that it's just a game, but it's still training your brain to see the world a certain way.

He pointed out the portrayal of gender relations in games is even more fucked up than the racial stuff.  

I don't know a whole lot about video games.  I don't play them (although I did try Super Mario Galaxy over the holidays) and I don't enjoy them.  The idea of practicing violent behaviour really bothers me, and so many video games are all about the violence.  Chris mentioned that in Grand Theft Auto, you can actually win points by beating up prostitutes.  Double awesome.

The things you expose yourself to have to affect your world view.  TV, movies, games, comic books, books, peer groups - it all goes into the mix and you come out the other end.  You can consume media critically, think about what your seeing and how it might affect you, but that takes a lot of effort and most of the time it's easier to just submerge yourself in it.  It's easy not to notice a whole hour of TV where the only females on screen are flirtatious secretaries.  Or if you do notice it, it's easy to just shrug it off.  

It's totally acceptable that in super hero movies, the damsels are in distress and the heroes rescue them.  And those damsels, they are damn sexy.  If you want to read more about super heroes (and I think you should) - head over to Girls Read Comics: And They're Pissed.  Actually, everything over at Girl Wonder is worth reading.  Super heroes aren't just for boys.

We need strong female role models.  I love Buffy more than almost anything else, and I love how she was strong and feminine and kicked ass.  It bothered me that Spike's attempted rape was glossed over so easily, and most of the outrage was handed to Xander, but for the most part I just love the show beyond all reason.  I love all the stereotype reversals in that show (Xander is the heart of the Scoobies, for example), and how Willow found her power in her sexuality.  I can't find a really good website to send you to, so I'll recommend the book Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale.

We also need more sex-positive role models.  People who are strong and confident in their sexuality, and who refuse to accept the standard definitions of beauty, attractiveness and acceptability.  Check out Girl With A One Track Mind and Clean Sheets.  Follow the links outward from there and you'll find lots of worthwhile stuff.

Why the link-fest today?

I don't want to contribute to unhealthy views of women's sexuality.  Sometimes I feel like a failed feminist because I am not sexually liberated and confident.  It bothers me that women who are unable to enjoy sex are labeled "frigid" and seen as less than women.  I don't think it's okay to just roll over about that (although I do roll over a lot, because it's fucking hard standing up about this issue!)

As I muddle through this thing, it's important to keep an eye on all the fantastic people out there who are getting it right.  People who see an injustice or an inequality and stand up to fight it.  Whether it's a girl reading comics (and getting pissed but still loving them) or a woman having lots of great sex and promoting a sexual health charity for young women, there are people out there being the positive role models that we need.  It would be nice to be among that group, and help other women who are struggling with their sexuality.

Feed your brain healthy food.  

No comments: